Friday, January 22, 2010

Winter Organizing!

I just finished reading Suze Orman's "Women and Money" book.  She spurred me to take control of our finances and really get organized.  It's a great read and I definitely recommend it! 

I started my week of organizing by tackling our 401Ks, IRAs, pension documents, etc.  I created binders that have tabs for each section (i.e. Andrea's 401K, Andrea's IRA, Andrea's Social Security statements, etc.)  I had all these documents before, I just didn't have them organized in one place.  I did the same for Mike and for the kids (i.e. Daughter's 529, Daughter's IRA, Daughter's Savings, etc).  Now, all of our financial information is organized in one neat place and I know what we've got at a glance. 

Next, I completed a thorough review of our insurances (life, home, vehicles).  Suze has some great advice about types of policies to avoid.  Luckily, we had term life and guaranteed replacement value like she recommends.  Guess I can keep our agent!  :)

When this was all done, I went on a shredding kick.  I cleaned out so many years of old policies, receipts, etc.  Why I save this stuff is beyond me.  This picture is just 1/4 of the shredding I did.  YES, there are 3 other loads just as big. 


Finally, I organized the office closet.  Since I work from home quite a bit, having an organized home office for my work materials is crucial to my success.  Doesn't it look neat??
 

Now that I'm all organized, I can officially relax and get ready for a nice weekend.  Nothing fancy going on here...we are having dinner with friends tonight and the kiddos each have a party to go to.  My sister and husband are coming for dinner on Sunday.  I haven't seen them since Christmas, so it will be good to catch up.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!




No comments: