Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dealing with rejection

Loyal readers of my blog know that I've been working on a business plan for a little idea of mine for quite some time.  I sent my business plan off to two candle companies in late January of this year.  One company I never heard from despite repeated follow ups.

The other company actually responded saying they liked my idea and were sending it off to their innovations lab for evaluation.  Today, I received a rejection from them.  It made me sad for about 10 minutes.   Luckily, I opened it just before lunch time.  I had a big bowl of my Mom's homemade chicken pot pie (can you think of a better comfort food) and began planning my next move.

Did I honestly think that my idea would be accepted on my first try?  No.  Will I give up and say it wasn't meant to be?  No.  It just means I need to tackle this from a slightly different way.  Maybe, instead of licensing my idea, I do it myself.   I find a manufacturing partner, get some initial designs/samples made, and go on QVC myself.  Can I do this?  Damn right...I can do anything I set my mind to. 

I think step one will be to reach out to a former colleague of mine.  He's an entrepreneur and has done very well.  I think I need to buy him lunch and pick his brain!

So blog readers....what advice do you have for me?  Any ideas/suggestions?  Any of you entrepreneurs who started your own business?   Most importantly, does anyone have any connections in the candle industry?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Andrea, no connections to the candle industry, sorry. Sounds like you have an idea your passionate about so keep on plugging away. I just blogged about failure on my site, quite relevant to your post here. Best of luck - you can do it!